Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Our Virtual Field Trip

I have to say, I have never been through such a whirl wind of a project. We lost a week by choosing a topic we couldn't work with, and we couldn't get our hyperlinks to work and re did them five or six times, we couldn't convert our movies into usable files and had to pay a lot of money for that to work, we paid more money for research and photocopying for the performance based assessment, we couldn't figure out the music as it was deeply embedded in the project, and we struggled with it not only up until the presentation, but right up until the school performance. I can't imagine anything else going wrong. Honestly I put more work into this project than any other school project of my life, not to mention time and money. We cried, we lost sleep, and we got sick. I can't say that I'm sure that the result outweighed the result...but I know that I was glad to finish. I think that if it had been first in the semester, I would have felt better about putting the time in, but right now, I feel like I had to not put as much effort into all of my other subjects, and therefore, began to resent the project.

All of that said though, I would like to say that I am pleased with the result. Whether the final hyperlinks work or not, i think it was a worthwhile project, and I think that I learned more about both PowerPoint and about computers in general that I could have any other way. It was a bit expensive, but we couldn't have figured it out without the expense. I also wish we'd had the full two weeks with this idea, instead of changing it part way...and I wish the weather had been better so we could have filmed outside, but I am proud. Honestly I am. I think we have a great project and had it been the only thing I was working on, I would have loved putting it together as well.

When we presented the power point to the grade four students, they were engaged and happy. Everyone wanted to participate, and all of the students learned something from the activity. The clips were enjoyed by all and both of us left feeling relief and even a little pride.

Overall, I'm happy for the opportunity, but I am so glad we're finished. I also hope that we can get everyone else's VFT so that we can use a few others when we go ahead and start our first jobs. I feel like having a few of these projects to pull out would give everyone a bit of a head start.

Thanks for everything.

No comments: