Saturday, November 15, 2008

Entry #5

This has been a wonderful week. I cannot express how wonderful all of my weeks have been to date. With all of last weeks hype with Halloween, it was nice to have a bit of a relaxing time. It was a nice week, though, not without it's hiccups. I ended up dressing up like a bear and visiting the students in my class as a guest speaker to assess them on what they knew about bears. It was brilliant! They loved it, and I saw very quickly who had answers and who did not. They were also on their best behaviour, as I was a guest. Lovely lovely day!

In our school we have a fair amount of Caucasian students. In my classes, out of fourty children, I have only one non-Caucasian student. She is of first nations Cree background, and often tells me stories about her family and their activities together. She is certainly being taught Cree traditions in detail, and I love it because she is some of the only multicultural exposure that my children might see, so we are sure to share stories, and explain traditions in a very positive light.

This week I also sat down and did some research on Autism spectrum disorder, realizing that it is difficult to pin point anything at all about autism. Some children are healed based on diet, and others become worse. Some children can live and function normally, and some are so dangerous they need to be pulled right out of society. I did know that already, I have worked a great deal with children who have Autism and am not completely ignorant on the subject, but my research was a little discouraging, as it did not offer much hope. There was very little in the way of advice, unless there was money involved or parents helping, or a diet change, and clearly, I am in no position to have any of those things happen, my relationship at the school is not yet strong enough for me to start a petition. And therefore, I feel trapped and unable to offer any help of guidance to this tricky situation.

No comments: