Sunday, November 23, 2008

Entry #7

The last week is coming, and I'm getting a little weepy. Parting IS really such sweet sorrow though, because I'm excited to be finished to and regain a social life. I'm terribly lonely. At least I have my cooperating teacher to talk to. We are going to have to make a plan for keeping in touch. I will miss her.

This past week we finished off our studies with patterns. I feel like the children understand...for the most part and are well equipped for grade one as long as the concept is reviewed throughout the year. I am proud that I was able to teach them something. We did our celebration of learning this week and the students brought in their parents to show them their skills, and many of the displays were taught by me. Well, I was pleased as punch at the response from the children and the parents.

This practicum has been wonderful. Mainly because I would come up with an idea, run it by my cooperating teacher and she would say " let's try it!" I had so many opportunities to try things and experiment, some were a little complex, but most worked wonderfully. However, I would not have been able to pull off very much of what I accomplished without the help of my EA's. I know that if I was on my own in a classroom, I would have to calm down activities and keep them as simple as possible or I would not have successful activities at all. They would be quite chaotic I'm sure. I love my EA's!

One of my favorite things to do with students is dress up and come in as a guest, but I know from experience, that you must have someone in the classroom who can keep the conversation going. Someone who knows the rules and can help the students keep their composure, and who can offer suggestions to the "stranger" in the classroom. Without this person, the "guest" is without order and the students know it and chaos can ensue. Therefore, to dress up and bring in a guest speaker, is a two teacher job.

This week in regards to our small child with autism, I took an effort to see what the staff around me was already doing. It seems that they have currently pulled the child from his class and given him his own classroom...which is a closet with a whiteboard and desk in it. His mother seems fine with this change, and is now only coming in for afternoons twice a week to ensure he is behaving. The situation is a tricky one, as the grade five teachers are already trying to figure out how they'll be able to deal with the situation next year. And, no one knows how he's going to survive in junior high. The principal is at a loss, but is in constant communication with the boys mother, and for now, everything seems to be at an acceptable stand still. Unfortunately, the student is not integrated any longer into his class, with the exception of gym and recess.

Next week, I was going to talk about how I would deal with the situation, what is my point of view if you will. Honestly, I'm not sure. If I was the parent, I would send my son to a school that could accommodate his needs and give him the most effective and caring education. I know that would not be where he is. And being in the school's position, I'm thinking they're doing all they can legally. We have to take him if that's what parents want, and he's in his own space now so he no longer irritates and distracts or hurts his peers. I'd day they've handled the situation well.

It seems this is the last entry and the end of my cheery little blog. So long, farewell, aufwiedersehen, and goodbye -- at least for now.

No comments: